Monday, January 22, 2007

"80% of Success is Showing Up"

This is a quote from Woody Allen. I'm not sure I entirely agree with this quote. I mean, I did show up for my SAT test in high school, but I wouldn't characterize the test results as a "success." (Then again, how many of us can claim a mountain of successes by age 16?)

I suppose it depends on how you define "success," but also how you might characterize "showing up." There's a difference between showing up "prepared" and showing up otherwise. If I were to analyze this quote, I think Mr. Allen is saying that "showing up" is often the most difficult barrier to overcome in any given situation. Sure, you're terrified to "show up" for that job interview, but once you get there, you really click with the interviewer, and all of a sudden, it's three hours later. Sure, it's a drag "showing up" for the American Idol try-outs and standing in line for 17 hours, and of course you don't land an audition, but you end up meeting a fabulous soul mate while whittling away the hours in line. And sure, you're utterly anxiety-ridden to "show up" at freshman orientation, but even 20 years later you fondly recall your college days. Mustering the courage to "show up" is often well worth it.

No comments: